An effective charity thinks and plans ahead and has appropriate systems to support this while at the same time retaining flexibility to adapt and change to changes in the internal and external environment.
Below are some questions to prompt you in your organisation’s review focusing on your charity’s planning, support and operating systems:
- Are there strategic and project planning processes? What are they and who manages these and how? How are these acted on? Is this realistic for the organisation? Is this flexible? Does this include focused objectives and evaluation requirements?
- Is there evidence of continuous review of the organisations current position, the “where are we now”?
- How often is the external environment monitored and does the planning incorporate an analysis of the implications for the future?
- Is there evidence of internal and external analysis, ie Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats (SWOT) analysis; Political, Economic, Social. Technological, Legal, Environmental (PESTLE) analysis?
- Are major changes in internal and external environments acknowledged and planned for?
- Does the charity consider input from client, beneficiaries and target audiences?
- Does the way the charity is run allow for long term thinking with space for flexible responses?
- Are there regular reviews of achievements, outcomes and practice?
- Are there monitoring and evaluation processes in place?
- Are the objectives SMART (Specific, Measurable, Actionable, Realistic, Time-bound)?
- Are key performance indicators (KPIs) in place? Who manages these and how are they acted upon?
- Is there evidence of policy changes and operational action implemented, based on evaluation findings?
- Are there possibilities for outsourcing or sharing services and resources?
- Is the working environment appropriate for purpose that meets Health and safety and access requirements?
- Are the appropriate ‘tools’ for work available?
- Are IT systems functional and appropriate?
- Are administrative and finance systems functional and appropriate?
- Are business continuity plans in place?
f you would like to find out more about how we can assist and support you with an organisation review then contact us